With deductibles and co-pays skyrocketing over the past several years, the cost of diabetes medications and supplies can be a hardship for many.
One of my current roles as a Fit4D CDE is making people aware of financial assistance opportunities.
If you cannot afford your medication, check to see if you are eligible for any discounts.
- Ask your healthcare provider, pharmacist, or C.D.E. if they are aware of any discounts or programs to assist with your cost
- Many pharmaceutical companies and test strips manufacturers offer discounts on your medication or test strips. These discounts can be very valuable. Some restrictions may apply for those who have any type of government insurance.
- For those without insurance or possibly in the Medicare “Donut Hole,” you may qualify to receive your medication for free. Be sure to go to the manufacturer’s website to check out any possible discount.
Online resources for financial assistance:
- For those with Medicare drug plans www.ssa.gov/medicare/prescriptionhelp/
- Check out your drug's company website for financial assistance guidelines and applications.
Do not be embarrassed that you are unable to afford a medication or that you require assistance in obtaining that medication. You are not alone. Thankfully there are many resources available. If you cannot afford you medication and no helpful resources are available, it is very important for you to make your healthcare provider aware, so that you can be prescribed another, more affordable, medication. Remember the goal is good blood glucose control and keeping you healthy!
By: Jane Abbey, RN, CDE